Monday, December 1, 2014

September 14, 2014

If you're following the obits in your local area newspaper, eventually you will run across someone you know. It's taken awhile for that to happen since I started these obit blackouts but it finally did. I had a heads up from a mutual friend though, who posted on Facebook about the memorial service before this hit the paper. Frankly, I do not remember her well, to my chagrin. She was one of the campers at the church camp I counseled at back in the mid-1970's. She was quiet and overshadowed by more out-going kids, not in any of the small groups I worked with, at least, that I remember. I didn't hear anything about her in the intervening years, not until this. It was a surprise that she had ended up pursuing the priesthood. I'd forgotten or maybe never even made the connection that her father was the priest at one of the Spokane Episcopal churches. It sounded like she lived a happy, fulfilling and useful life, and the cathedral where her service was held was packed as I would expect. I'm still struggling with purpose and meaning, wondering how much good I've done over the years, and joking with a friend that he is in charge of hiring professional mourners so there will be someone at my funeral. What kind things will they say about me when I'm gone, what impact will I have made, will it be the things I think I want to be remember for?

No comments:

Post a Comment